New Content and Big Changes Coming on March 9th!
POPULATION: ONE is Going Free-To-Play on March 9th
Seattle, February 28, 2023 — Today we are announcing POPULATION: ONE will be going free-to-play on March 9th with new features launching the same day. Additionally, we are revealing our 2023 roadmap.
As the top selling VR battle royale game, we are excited to bring POP1 to a larger audience and broaden the social multiplayer experience.
We want to reward our existing players and those who choose to purchase the game before March 9th with an exclusive bundle (full details are below). Not only that, we have a ton of exciting new content rolling out on March 9th and throughout the year.
In this dev blog post, we’re breaking down all the new content on deck for the free-to-play launch and beyond! Celebrate with us and spread the word!
Original Banana Rewards
To our beloved players, thank you for your continued support!
All players who already own or purchase POP1 before the free-to-play transition (March 9th @ 10am PT) will automatically receive the Original Banana Bundle. This bundle includes in-game rewards that will NEVER again be obtainable in-game as paid or earned rewards.
Original Banana Bundle Rewards ($80 Value)
- Legendary “PJ Potassium” Character Skin
- Legendary “Prestige” Character Skins (4)
- Rare “Prestige” Full Gun Set (14)
- Exclusive Title: “Original Banana”
- Exclusive Calling Card: “Celebration”
- Exclusive Spray: “I Was Here”
- 1,000 Bureau Gold
- Full Access To The Level Progression Track
- Existing game owners will automatically be awarded the Original Banana Bundle on March 9th at 10 am PT.
- To access your rewards, login anytime after 10am PT on March 9th and an in-game pop-up button will appear, prompting you to accept the rewards.
Fresh New Content Coming On March 9th
To commemorate the free-to-play launch, several amazing updates are also going live on March 9th. Pro tip: Check POP1 social channels for the next 9 days for even more info and sneak peeks.
Squads - Battle Royale Evolving Map
- For the FIRST time ever, a Sandbox map will be entering the Squads Evolving Map (replacing Outpost Hill).
- The Evolving Map will receive consistent map changes in 2023.
The Original Battle Royale Map Is Back!
- Match-make into "Classic Squads" on our Original Map from Season 1.
- Improved gun/character/world colors and resolution, real-time shadows and more!
New Gameplay Balance Changes
- All gun damage numbers and ranges have been adjusted to make them more specialized. Now, each weapon more accurately fits its intended role for close, medium, or long-range fights.
- Bananas per inventory slot have been reduced from 2->1, but now heal 100 health instantly.
- Items that heal over time (health and shield soda effects) are now interrupted/stopped when damaged by other players.
- Being damaged by the Battle Zone does not stop the healing.
- Ghost speed while knocked down has been increased.
New Single Player Mode with Dynamic Bots and In-game Rewards
- Battle against the improved AI bots! The AI now dynamically changes difficulty based on your skill level.
- A new single player progression is available with brand new rewards.
- Can you win 20 matches to earn the top character skin prize in our new single player progression?
New Player Lobbies
- New players and existing lower-skill players will automatically match-make into similar skill leveled lobbies to play and learn, separate from veteran POP1 players.
- NOTE: If new players are in a squad with higher-skilled friends, they will be placed into matches at that higher skill level.
- New player lobbies will be partially filled with our improved dynamic bots to balance the difficulty.
Rocket Launcher Sandbox Support
- The Rocket Launcher will now be available as an accessory item in all Sandbox modes.
New Moderation Tools
- New and improved in-game moderation tools to keep our players safe and protected are rolling out March 9th. This includes improved reporting options, in-game reporting tools with text and more.
New In-game Shop
- The new store catalog will have an updated interface and over 100 new character and gun skins available on March 9th. New items and skins will continue to be added in the future.
12 or 24 Player Sandbox Rooms
- More freedom to create larger Sandbox games, or limit your Sandbox games to smaller rooms.
POPULATION: ONE 2023 Roadmap
Our March 9th release is just the beginning of a wave of updates coming to POP1.
You don’t want to miss what’s in store this year including, but not limited to:
- Sandbox Battle Royale Mode (March 30th)
- Sandbox Battle Royale Playlist (March 30th)
- New Weapons
- New Battle Royale Updates on the Evolving Map
- New Sandbox Features & Modes
- Matchmaking Improvements
We are excited about how the game will continue to evolve in 2023. Bigger lobbies, more content, more friends, and more fun, for free!
If you have more questions, we have an extended FAQ below.
See you in the game!
- BigBox VR
How do I redeem the Original Banana Bundle Reward?
- Own POP1 and launch the app once before the free-to-play transition (March 9th @ 10am PT). On your first login after the free-to-play transition, an in-game pop-up with a button to accept the rewards will appear.
- If you meet the criteria above, but did not receive your Original Banana Bundle rewards after the free-to-play transition, please contact BigBox support at: https://support.bigboxvr.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Will new players receive any rewards?
ALL New Players will receive FREE Bureau Gold (300 BG) This will take effect on 3/9 @ 10am Pacific.
- Limited time offer. Offer subject to restrictions and change without notice.
Pricing variations starting 3/9 @ 10am PT (Rift PCVR, Steam, Meta Quest/Pro)
- The game will be free on Meta Quest 2 / Pro starting at 10am PT on March 9th
- Oculus Rift and Steam will be priced at $19.99 (starting March 9th at 10am PT). Similar to other games, the value price on those platforms will be used to prevent potential cheaters from making a new account on Steam/Rift easily.
- Players who purchase the game on Steam/Oculus Rift platforms, players will be granted 1,200 ($20) worth of Bureau Gold (BG) into their account. This will take effect on 3/9 @ 10am Pacific.
Will refunds be offered?
- No refunds will be offered apart from standard store (Steam/Meta Quest) policies. Visit the store(s) for full details.
- For paid apps on Meta Quest and Rift, you may be eligible for a refund if you used the app for less than 2 hours and you've requested a refund less than 14 days after purchase. See Meta Quest’s Content Refund Policy for more information.
F2P Level Gating/All Access Pricing
- New Players who join after the free-to-play transition will earn experience points and levels through the progression track after each match. However, they will not receive the rewards past level 10 for free.
All Access can be purchased for 750 BG to receive all earned rewards past level 10.
- All Access can be purchased at any time. Once purchased, all rewards associated with earned levels past level 10 will be granted to the player immediately.
Where can I find the latest info on F2P updates?
- POP1 social channels will continue to be updated as we get closer to the F2P launch on March 9. We will also keep the community updated as it goes live. Thanks for your support and please reach out with any questions you may have.